Netscape Gold editor

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 18 13:59:40 EDT 1997

>     Netscape Gold is not freeware.  It is a part of their browser -
which
>     under some circumstances is free (if you get a beta version) but it
is
>     not freeware.  You get it as part of the evaluation.  The
distinction
>     may be of interest mostly to lawyers.

As a slight quibble, official release Netscape client products are free for
educational and non-profit users.  Netscape servers as also free for
educational and non-profit organizations.  From the license on my copy of
Navigator 3.01:
Netscape grants you a non-exclusive license to use the Software free
of charge if (a) you are a student, faculty member or staff member of
an educational institution (K-12, junior college, college or library),
a staff member of a religious organization, or an employee of an
organization which meets Netscape's criteria for a charitable
non-profit organization; or (b) your use of the Software is for the
purpose of evaluating whether to purchase an ongoing license to the
Software. The evaluation period for use by or on behalf of a
commercial entity is limited to 90 days; evaluation use by others is
not subject to this 90 day limit. Government agencies (other than
public libraries) are not considered educational, religious, or
charitable non-profit organizations for purposes of this Agreement. If
you are using the Software free of charge, you are not entitled to
hard-copy documentation, support or telephone assistance. If you fit
within the description above, you may use the Software in the manner
described in Part III below under "Scope of Grant."

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu