Disable Netscape Feature

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Fri Apr 18 11:35:22 EDT 1997

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 Kyle Harriss <kharriss at d.umn.edu> wrote:

>Netscape Navigator (32 bit) allows someone to store a url shortcut to the
>desktop.  This is one of the few things remaining that we don't have under
>control.  We want to remove this ability, but haven't found a way to do it
>yet.  Does anyone know if there is a Win95 Registry setting for Netscape
>that would change this?

I don't think there is a registry setting that can directly change this.

However, a combination of registry changes and batch files can mitigate the
effects of URL shortucts saved to desktop.

In AUTOEXEC.BAT, include the following lines:

deltree /y c:\windows\empty>nul
md c:\windows\empty>nul

This deletes and recreates a directory called c:\windows\empty.  This
directory will be your desktop while the machine is locked down, instead
of C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP.  Each reboot will clear the desktop directory of
all contents.

Import the following keys into the registry when locking down the machine:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders]
"Start Menu"="C:\\WINDOWS\\empty"
"Startup"="C:\\WINDOWS\\empty"
"Recent"="C:\\WINDOWS\\empty"
"Programs"="C:\\WINDOWS\\empty"

These lines tell Win95 to look in C:\WINDOWS\EMPTY for all START |
PROGRAMS, START | PROGRAMS | STARTUP, and START | DOCUMENTS items, as
well as for items showing up on the Start menu above Programs.  Again,
this directory is cleared with each reboot.

Import the following key into the registry when locking down the machine:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoDesktop"=dword:00000001

This key will ensure that any shortcuts created in \WINDOWS\EMPTY between
reboots will not show up to the user.

Bill Moseley has a way of automagically deleting all shortcuts created.  It
also involves registry changes, but I have never really explored it.

Perhaps an easier way:  use IKIOSK to disable right-clicks in Netscape.  I
think that right-clicks are the only way to create shortcut URLs on the
desktop.

Best wishes,

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-