ADA and Web Pages

Robert C. Williford c586704 at showme.missouri.edu
Fri Apr 18 10:37:58 EDT 1997

NFML at aol.com wrote:

> . . . . Our
> webmaster is looking for information on making our library webpages more
> accessable to blind users.  His main question is whether he can use tables,
> and if so do they have to be configured in any specific way?  Any information
> will be appreciated.  You can reply directly to NFML at aol.com if you wish.

Try the site "BOBBY" at http://www.cast.org/bobby/.  It's a subdivision
of CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology), a not-for-profit
organization whose mission is to "expand opportunities for individuals
with disabilities through innovative computer technology."  BOBBY lets
you submit a URL, which is immediately evaluated (in seconds) to provide
tips on problems it might cause for people with special needs.  There's
a link to CAST as well.

In the category of 'I know because it's in my back yard,' the University
of Missouri has an Adaptive Computing Technology Center
(http://www.missouri.edu/~ccact/) with some links to disability
resources that might help.  Also product reviews written by MU staff and
links to other sites with HTML tips for serving the differently abled.

Bob Williford
SISLT Student
http://www.missouri.edu/~c586704/