electronic reserve

Steve Melamut melamut at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 15 20:01:06 EDT 1997

If I were a cynic, I might wonder if the faculty are just more protective of
their own copyrights than they are of other people's.

Electronic reserves will be a wonderful thing if everone's copyright
protections are respected.

Steve Melamut
University of North Carolina

(sorry, I've been working on a paper on the subject for several days and
nearly everyone I have read is terribly sanctimonious about their own
rights, but unwilling to look at anyone else's rights. My favorite so far is
the professor who felt that one major incentive for using electronic
reserves was that under fair use, the students would no longer have to pay
the permission fee that is charged when using the articles in coursepacks.
With electronic reserves, everything would be free!!)