Filtering software & librarian reviewers

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Apr 2 21:20:20 EST 1997

I had a long talk with a filter vendor today in which we frequently circled
back to a familiar topic: what they perceive as their need to keep their
site list private (it's proprietary, they pay to build it) and what I
perceive as our need to make these lists public (information should be
accessible, we should know what we block).

One of the offers this vendor made was to consider having a team of
librarians periodically review this company's site list.  I am not sold on
this approach, but I think the offer should be considered, if only for the
information we would gain from such a project.

Anyone interested?  Email me personally at kgs at bluehighways.com .

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library Contractor, Garcia Consulting
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
These opinions strictly mine!