unix question: write access to web docs

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Wed Apr 2 19:24:10 EST 1997

I "speak" only pidgin unix, please excuse me if I don't explain this clearly
or don't include all necessary pieces of information.

Right now, the only way to be able to edit our web documents in the proxy
server, or to place new docs in the server, is to log in as root. Not
surprisingly, the city's MIS department people don't want the root password
spread around. But I need two or three other people on the library staff to
be able to maintain some of the pages, learn how to upload new pages, etc.

As an experiment I tried adding go+w both to the library's directory and to
individual docs. But it still won't let me write my changes if I've logged
in as myself, unless I become superuser and use the root password.

Is it even _possible_ to give certain users write permission for documents
not in their own directories? Is there something I could change either in
the httpd-conf or in the way a user is set up which will make this possible?

Three pieces of information:
a. The firewall/proxy server is in a Sparkstation LX with SunOK 5.5.1
   According to the line above the login prompt, we are running
     UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0

b. The useradd command I use reads as follows:
   useradd -d /home/username -g ### -u ### -m -s /bin/csh -k /etc/skel username

c. The httpd-conf includes the lines
   UserId root
   GroupId other

Thanks very much for your advice and suggestions. We don't have a systems
person, and are dependent on a very understaffed city MIS department. They
are busy always with emergencies, and don't have time for frivolities like
how we work on our web pages.

Miriam Bobkoff             mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Santa Fe Public Library
145 Washington Avenue