Changing url of a web site

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at dom.de
Tue Apr 1 18:39:13 EST 1997

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Timothy Renick wrote:
> I have setup a new server to run our web site.  The url has changed on
> purpose.  Now what I want to do is to keep all of the old server urls
> active, however, have them all point to a page that states something like
> "Our URL has changed to ...."  I have made the new page, but I can't
> figure out how to make all of the old urls point to it.
> The problem is that many people have bookmarked into the site and I want
> them to change their bookmarks.  The old site is running an older NCSA
> web server.

What you are looking for is called redirection which is a
feature almost any web server offers. If I remember correctly,
the old NCSA can have  something like
PASS /*  http://the.new.server/*
in the configuration file - this tells the server to redirect the
browser to the new site while keeping the trailing portion of the
URL. As I said, I am not sure about the old syntax, but if you
look up "redirection" you should find it in the docs.

Ulrich

 Ulrich Babiak
 Dipl.-Netzer ;-)
 http://www.dom.de/FreiRaum/uli/   -   ubabiak at dom.de