Library and academic interest in "push" technology?

Walter Lewis lewisw at hhpl.on.ca
Mon Apr 7 15:36:35 EDT 1997

JQ Johnson wrote:

> Prentiss Riddle asks:
> >Is it possible to envision a "push" channel of
> >     value to faculty or students in Computer Science?  Astronomy?
> >     History?  English?
>
> If we broaden our conceptualization of push channels slightly, I think the
> answer is a definite yes.  An astronomer might register an interest in
> getting data (or images) from a remote telescope as soon as it's available.
> A computer scientist might register an interest in getting information from
> an academic news wire service about advances in communications technology --
> perhaps the latest stories from an incrementally published scholarly
> ejournal.  An historian might enroll in a push channel that delivered news
> from her professional association.  An english major might register an
> interest in seeing additions to a list of employment opportunities in his
> geographic area.

[snip]
In what way does the enabling technology for what is being described
here differ from a moderated listserv (say with html rather than
plain-text messages.  Many of us have been offered the chance to
subscribe to USAToday, ZDNet et al. by Netscape.

Is it merely that it delivers via the browser rather than the Inbox?

...leaving aside questions of 1 to 1 software/service efforts like
PointCast.

Walter Lewis
Deputy Chief/Systems
Halton Hills Public Library