printers

Wilfred [Bill] Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Wed Sep 25 11:03:10 EDT 1996

DEIRDRE F. WOODWARD wrote:

> Hi!  I *hate* HPLaserjets.  They are by far the worst printer I have dealt
> with.  The paper is hard to refill and when there is a printer error I can
> never figure out what the problem is.  Perhaps it's just me, and others have no
> probls with HP, but I will never buy an HP again.  They used to be excellent. I
> remember using one in 1988 that was fast, loaded envelopes, was easy to change
> the paper, never had a problem.  The ones we have now -- HP 4, 4L, and a color
> printer, have all caused me major headaches.
>
> I have a canon bubblejet 200e at home which has never caused me a problem.  I
> love it.  The only drawbacks are sometimes the ink is too wet and smears, and I
> can't get a really nice print.  I printed my wedding invitations in it and they
> looked terrible.  I used the HP and they looked fabulous.
>
> SO, for maintenence, HP laserjet bad, Canon bubblejet good.
> So excellent perfect printing, HP laserjet good, canon bubblejet not as good.
>
> will I get sued for dissing hp?  their printing is excellent! ;)
> deirdre

I must disagree with great vehemence (spelling ? ;-)) about HP
Laserjets.  We purchased an HP Laserjet 5P several months ago.  It works
extremely well, produces excellent quality printing of text and images.
Paper loads from the front just by sliding the tray in and out.
Paperjams are infrequent.  It is running off a Windows NT server and
also off of Appletalk for our directr's Mac (the rest of us use real
computers -- just joking!!).  It has also been set up to receive print
requests from our VAX via the Windows NT server.  The only problems have
been when the server is running real slow.  We also found we couldn't
load the software on my Windows for Workgroups machine which is why it
is on an NT in Computer Services.

My brother-in-law uses a HP Laserjet in his print shop.  He has been
using the same printer for over 8 years now.  The only maintenance has
been replacing cartridges.  Still works great even with his new pentium
machine.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902