Netscape and MSIE administration kits -- any info?

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 24 12:44:41 EDT 1996

Michael Wilde writes:

>I've opened the Netscape.exe file in MS C++ 4.0 Developer Studio and
>found the menu item and class table entry for that stupid "Save as
>Wallpaper" button off the right mouse.  I've deleted it, and tried to
>save the exe but C++ tells me that "this resource cannot be saved in this
>executable".  I thought I had whipped the damn right mouse problem until
>this message....ne1 know how to get around it...I've even tried doing a
>"File-->Save As"..with no luck.

We found a workaround for this "feature" that doesn't require any hacking.
When you choose the "Save as Wallpaper" option, Netscape saves the file
with the name netscape.bmp in the Windows directory and modifies win.ini to
point to it. We created a grey rectangle, called it netscape.bmp, put it in
machines' Windows directories, and made it read-only. Netscape is then
unable to change it, and doesn't complain about it. Write-protecting
win.ini would probably also do the job.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin