Graphical Catalog Access

Charles Gambrell maf00665 at maf.mobile.al.us
Tue Sep 17 11:26:21 EDT 1996

Our library in in the process of upgrading our computer system and as
part of the upgrade we want to provide internet access to our catalog.
We use Unicorn by SIRSI running on an RS-6000.  The catalog is Z39.50
compliant.  My questions are:

(1) Have you installed SIRSI's WebCat, and if so, what is you experience
with it?
(2) What other graphical "front-ends" could we add to our system?
(3) Does anyone have experience with a "mixed" installation, catalog
software from one vendor, graphical front-end from another vendor?
(4) Have you elected to have text only access (i.e. Telnet)? Why? What
is the response of your customer base?

Any experiences and suggestions you can offer will be appreciated.

Thank you

Charles Gambrell
System Automation Assistant Manager
Mobile Public Library