Licenses and simultaneous users. -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Mon Sep 16 08:40:36 EDT 1996

Kurt is correct, from my experience, and the best rule is to talk
directly with the vendor regarding what that particular license
means in that situation.  You will find that the definition of a
"simultaneous user" changes from vendor to vendor.  This is also
true with area licensing--e.g., some vendors see our region as
one integral unit, some see it as a unit with several satellites and
some see our four geographic locations as four separate licenses.
 This is a good time to bring up that many vendors are willing to
listen and work with you on your particular situation.  Developing
good vendor relationships, for books as well as networked online
resources, is all part of collection development.

Karen "whew, am I on a roll or what" Schneider
Contractor, GCI/Director, Region 2 EPA Library
opinions mine alone