Is "www" desirable in web site URL?

Karen Campbell kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu
Fri Sep 13 10:29:16 EDT 1996

Based on experience, it's my understanding that Netscape can access
any address without the protocol part of the address (htp:// or ftp://),
but that if www is part of the actual address (www.hamline.edu), it needs
to be present.

While far from a purist myself, I still insist on teaching students to use
the protocol part of a web address, just as I have them fill in the entire
e-mail address in Pine exercises, even though our setup will supply the
address for users on the local network.  I think this helps in
demystifying the internet a little for people to be aware of what they are
doing. But then again, I don't use the preprogram buttons on my telephone
either!

Karen Campbell	                           Bush Memorial Library
kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu	           Hamline University
(612)641-2482			           St. Paul, Minnesota
We are "web weavers and dancers at the dawn of the Meso-Electronic Period"
                                       ---Paul Evan Peters