Is "www" desirable in web site URL?

Peter Murray pem at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Sep 13 10:25:09 EDT 1996

I'd guess what Netscape is doing is first checking the Domain Name Service
(DNS) for 'albany.edu', and if it does not find an address (A-record) or an
alias (CNAME-record), it tries 'www.albany.edu'.  A quick look at the DNS
reveals:

  > host albany.edu
  albany.edu has address 169.226.1.21

  > host www.albany.edu
  www.albany.edu is a nickname for rebecca.albany.edu
  rebecca.albany.edu has address 128.204.1.109
  rebecca.albany.edu mail is handled (pri=10) by sarah.albany.edu

Since 'albany.edu' has an address record in the DNS and has a web server on
port 80, it gueses that "http://albany.edu" is what you really meant when you
typed "albany.edu" in the Location line.  And since "albany.edu" and
"www.albany.edu" point to different addresses, you see the behavior you
describe.

Peter

--