More on electronic reserves -Reply

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Thu Sep 12 10:35:35 EDT 1996

I wonder what you all think of the Declaration of Writer's Economic Rights on
the homepage of the National Writer's Union:

	http://www.nwu.org/nwu/docs/decrights.htm

I quote a bit of it (I trust this is fair use):

"Broader Protection for Uses of Writers' Work

With the advent of new technologies, writers' control over ownership of
their work is eroding. Writers must have the right to control and negotiate
compensation for new uses of work, including electronic databases, CD-ROMs
and software.  Writers should also receive compensation for subsequent uses
of their work, including library lending as is the case in a number of other
nations."

Though I'm not a published author, I think it is entirely fair to consider
the product of the pen to be the property of the writer or of whomever she
assigns it to.  Perhaps we librarians are as apt to consider the writer's
rights last as are the publishers (though publishers wield greater economic
power over writers).

I'm not too crazy about the bit about compensating for library lending,
though.

BTW, the union is working to establish a clearinghouse for compensating
writers who still hold rights to their publications:

	http://www.nwu.org/nwu/prc/prc1.htm

Food for thought, as Ana Cleveland says.

Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

--- On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:52:43 -0700  Brian Nielsen <b-nielsen at nwu.edu>