Turning off animation?

Daniel Albano (1) danielt1 at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Thu Oct 31 08:25:15 EST 1996

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Erwin Wodarczak wrote:

> Is there any way to turn off animated GIFs - i.e. de-animate them - i.e.
> KILL THEM???
>
> 99% of them are only cute the first time.  Afterwards, not only are they
> annoying, but their constant re-loading seems to interfere with anything
> else I want to do while viewing the document in question.
>
> I'm using Netscape 2 at the moment, by the way.

	My usual approach to "taming the web" involves
	turning off autoload of images, and only explicitly
	useful information.  If you guess wrong, you can
	back out of the page, flush your disk and memory
	cache, then re-enter it.  I agree that there should
	be an "unload image" command; that would make life
	far more civilized, and the whole thing far more
	practical as a means of getting real data, rather
	than someone's idea of an "interesting" picture.

	- Daniel

Daniel Albano                           daniel at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Computer Services                       +1 416 395 5907

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."