embedded paper :possible?

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Wed Oct 2 13:39:24 EDT 1996

I had a dream last night that I sent a snail-mail card to a friend. I
spent a lot of time embedding a quasi-Java applet of a rollercoaster into
the card, and also embedded a tiny recording of carnival sounds. I awoke
and thought : would this be possible to do at some future date? Would
there be a market for special "cards" or even "books" with a specific
embedded movable graphic or video? I know that musical cards are more
common, and a delight to receive. Why not, say, a remembrance of a happy
event (wedding, birth announcement, etc.) ? I can imagine a lovely
embedded wailing baby on a birth announcement card.

Possible?  And...how would we catalog such a thing? 300 field please?

Barbara Stewart
(quite aware that it's not Friday, but unable to alter her dream patterns
to suit the list moderators ;-)    )