Whither the "Virtual Reference Desk"?

Heath Rezabek hrezabek at fiat.gslis.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 8 18:26:14 EDT 1996

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Jerry Kuntz wrote:

> The past couple of weeks I've been doing a lot of surfing collecting
> links for a "virtual reference desk" page, eg sites with links to
> sources for frequently asked questions at reference desks...must report
> that what I've seen has been disappointing: poorly organized and
> maintained sites (including some of the most "famous", i.e. frequently
> mentioned reference sites.)

Although this is probably the last thing you wanted to hear about, as
it's an example of an [imho] *very* well organized resource which
definitely was not created by librarians, I thought I'd pass it on.  If
nothing else, it makes another useful resource.

It's simply the customized research tool organization which the Wired
staff uses in researching its articles.  The good news is that it's
extensive and well-organized [though in a custom manner & geared towards
"wired" type issues]... The bad news is, now that they've released
it for use as a public tool, there's an ad on every page.

Wired Source  ...  at

http://www.wiredsource.com/wiredsource/

          Heath M Rezabek  hrezabek at gslis.utexas.edu
                           http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/~hrezabek/ndx.html
  GSLIS Masters Candidate  University of Texas at Austin
Technical Staff Assistant  Perry-Castaneda Library EIC
HTML Writers Guild Member  http://www.hwg.org/