Client-Server Vs. Turnkey Systems

Daniel Albano (1) danielt1 at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Tue Oct 8 11:29:31 EDT 1996

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Marie Suhre wrote:

> My library is considering converting to a new automation system.  We
> currently have several locally built systems that are several years old.
> They use Clipper, dBaseIII, Excel, and AskSam.  Can anyone recommend a
> recent article that describes the pros and cons of using client-server
> systems (such as Oracle) versus turnkey systems (such as TechLib) for
> automating library functions (things like cataloging, acquisitions, ILL,
> circulation)?  We also have both Web and Gopher servers and would like any
> new system to interface with the Web environment.  Thanks!

	Marie,

	Client/server and turnkey are orthogonal terms.

	Client/server denotes a family of related technical
	architectures; turnkey describes a vendor relationship.

	You may have either, both, or neither when you move
	to a new system.

Daniel Albano                           daniel at nypl.north-york.on.ca
Computer Services                       +1 416 395 5907

"Views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the position of the North York Public Library."