relocating a set of docs

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Wed Nov 27 10:52:08 EST 1996

The City of Santa Fe's new web server is finally alive, and it is nearly
time to shovel the Library's pages from their home inside my personal ISP
account to the new machine. I have some questions about housekeeping (and
net manners):

Am I right in thinking I should leave a referring URL in a dummy file in
place of _each_ file, (or only for index.html and certain other major files?)

Am I right that I should track down all the places where the old URL is
listed and notify them of the new one?

Will index robots start finding the new pages right away, whether I'm ready
or not, so I should try to move, test, and leave referring files behind more
or less all at once?

Is there anything you can think of that I seem to have overlooked?

Thanks for your advice.

Miriam Bobkoff                     mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Santa Fe Public Library
      home page still at http://www.rt66.com/~mbobkoff/sfpl/