Computer Support Staff in Public LIbraries

jfrasier at jefferson.lib.co.us jfrasier at jefferson.lib.co.us
Wed Nov 20 21:32:22 EST 1996

I am the Microcomputer Manager for a large county library system.  We
recently changed to Innopac for our library software and use PCs, not
dumb terminals for access.  We also have a number a CD ROM workstations,
public rental computers for patrons, staff computers, etc.

We are looking at staffing needs and am wondering what other large public
libraries are doing.  Specifically do you have a person on staff who
performs primarily system analysis-type support, or software support?  We
have thought it might be a good idea to have someone on the staff whose
primary responsibility would be assisting the library staff to utilize
technolgy better by setting up applications, training, analyzing needs
and providing assistance.

We also have a few staff persons who do primarily hardware and software
installationgs, troubleshooting and support.

Any information about this would be helpful to me.

Jane Frasier                                        jfrasier at csn.net
Microcomputer Manager                           phone (303) 275-2241
Jefferson County Public Library                   fax (303) 275-2247
10500 West 38th Avenue                                           * *
Wheat Ridge, CO  80033                                            *