University and jobs (was position postings)

Alex Fayle alex_fayle at oma.org
Tue Nov 19 08:53:37 EST 1996

     Mark just sent an email saying:

<snip>

The point is that a degree is nice, but it doesn't always mean a
whole lot. Many CS degrees from schools do a real good job of
algorithim design but not very good on practical programming. And I'd
have to say the same thing about my MLIS. Alot of theory, but not
alot of practice.

</snip>

I personally believe that University /is/ a theory oriented place. It's not
designed to 'get you a job'. If you would like to learn practical skills, go to
community college - or get out there and just do it (ie, teach yourself and
prove yourself). Up here in Ontario, we're always hearing that University does
not prepare students for the job market - no that's true, but there's nothing
wrong with that. University provides students with problem solving skills,
written skills (hopefully), and analytical skills. All of which are very
important and useful.

My undergrad was in Celtic Studies - very unuseful, but my research skills, and
my self-learning skills are highly developed because of it. I'm not saying that
everyone should go to University. I am saying, however, that University IS NOT
just to get people jobs.

<sigh>

There's my morning rant - Since I don't drink coffee, I need something to get
the blood going...

Alex.