Modem warning

Bill Moseley moseley at netcom.com
Sat Nov 16 11:52:58 EST 1996

I just wanted to post a message regarding the new USR Winmodem.  This is a
plug-n-play modem that is typically sold about $30 less than the standard
USR modems.

This modem is plug-n-play - there are no jumpers for setting the comm port
(IO address and IRQ line).  This means that to use the modem you have to
install it using a disk provided by USR.  This also means that the modem
depends on software drivers loaded into Windows to operate correctly.

Although the modem does seem to work fine for a while, I have had a few
times where I needed to un install the modem and then reinstall it to get
it running again.  I have also had a case where I needed to also physically
unplug the modem from the computer, power up/power down, and then
completely reinstall it.  This seems really unnecessary for a device as
simple as a modem.

Keep in mind that each time this happens I have to use the installation
diskette - or more importantly, I have to FIND the installation diskette.
I really doubt that this process is easier than just setting a few jumpers
on the modem.

We also had a case where we installed the modem in a computer that also had
an ethernet card.  Even with plug-n-play (Win 95) the modem was installed
and started using resources allocated to the ethernet card.  This meant
uninstalling both the Winmodem and the ethernet card drivers, disabling a
COM port in the system bios and then reinstalling.

Also note that many programs will not work with this modem.  DOS-based comm
programs will not work, and MANY Windows comm programs will not work with
it (Trumpet is one example).

USR claims that the advantage of this modem is that you can easily upgrade
it by just changing the software driver instead of having to update the
flash bios on the modem.  Updating the flash bios on a modem is not
something I generally do often, so that seems of little value to me.

You may already be using this modem without a problem, but for everyone
else, I would recommend that you stay away from this modem.
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley at netcom.com