unlimited use of Westlaw/Lexis

Steve Melamut melamut at EMAIL.UNC.EDU
Fri Nov 15 11:50:39 EST 1996

It sounds like a great idea, but many law students never learn how to use
the paper source materials.  Despite the signs that say not to print cases
that are available in hard copy in the library, students continue to print
out massive amounts of material.
The horrible part is that many of the students leave before the printing
is done and the paper just gets thrown out.
Students do need to learn how to use commercial databases, but they
also need to learn how to use the materials they will have to use when
they graduate.
Fostering dependence on a computer is not necessarily healthy for anyone
but the database companies.

Steve Melamut
melamut at email.unc.edu   (3L)

needless to say my opinions are not representative of anyone but myself.
and as a postscript, I am not anti-computer, I have been using them for
about twenty five years and would not like living without them.  I am just
tired of reinforcing students belief in instant gratification. They look
shocked if you suggest thinking out a search strategy or checking on which
database is most suitable *before* they run a search.