Position postings

Darryl West darryl.west at snark.slq.qld.gov.au
Fri Nov 15 07:56:14 EST 1996

Chuck Bearden wrote:

> When it comes to database management positions in library
> automation, there is in my view *no* substitute for a person
> with a thorough understanding of MARC and other cataloging
> standards.  Few degreed librarians possess this qualification,
> let alone non-librarians.

Which is why when I wrote my USMARC to AUSMARC conversion program I got
an experienced librarian to give me the information I needed to complete
the work successfully.

> Also, I think John's point may have been missed.  I'm certain
> he wasn't suggesting that an MLS alone entitled one to be
> considered for library automation positions.  In fact, he stipulated
> that the librarians he was thinking of did indeed have the
> requisite computer experience.  I think the point was that these
> positions often exclude otherwise qualified librarians by demanding
> computer science degrees.

That is like saying you would accept a person with a computer science
degree to work as a librarian just on the basis of having hung round
libraries long enough. I personally could never see that happening.

Lets face it. There are mindsets and approaches gained during the
attainment of a degree and in a field that give a person an edge in that
field. For me I have a good feel for computers because of my training
and exposure, This means I am a good computer person to have round. (
though my librarian peers may disagree ) but I would be a useless
librarian. If I have a library problem I go ask a librarian.  While I
advocate empowering users of a system I firmly believe they can be best
developed by the people who understand computers not by people who
understand libraries.

I have seen to many wanna be techo's who 'have the experience' but who
in fact end up at a result by sheer brute force and ignorance rather
than any understanding and who end up wasting my time and their's. If I
want to be a librarian I will go do a degree that prepares me with the
knowledge and mindsets for that job. If you wanna be a techo then go do
the study to get the mindset of a techo. Unfortunately ( or fortunately
) a degree seems to be the only indicator that is round that can give an
indication of the minsetd necessary.

Steps down off the box again

Steps down again.

Darryl West
System Administrator Internet Services Unit

State Library of Queensland
P.O Box 3488
South Brisbane Q 4101
Australia