animated gifs - impact on httpd access.log -Reply

Albert Kemp Jr. akemp at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 13 11:13:57 EST 1996

In addition to Frank's comments, the "server push" method is far more
intensive on both cpu resources and bandwidth, because each frame of the
animation is "pushed" to the client according to server load.  As the
animation plays, the connection to the server must remain open, as the
CGI pushes the next frame thru.  This method would obviously fill the
access log of any Web server, especially if the web page was a popular
one.  IMHO, the only advantage to using this method is that you can
"push" either .JPG or .GIF files.  Although, transparency is lost on
the JPG format.  Thus, the advantages of multi-image "GIF animation"
become more apparent.

However, it should also be said that nobody appreciates the gross misuse
and poor implementation of animation, whether it be server or GIF driven.
As has already been mentioned on this list and others, such pages are
difficult to load and therefore frustrating to navigate, as animation
can interfere with hyperlinks and other interactive features of a web
page.

Albert Kemp Jr.           [[][][]]   Net: akemp at library.uwaterloo.ca
Library Asst., Systems    [[][][]]   Web: http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/~akemp
University of Waterloo    [[][][]]   Fax: (519) 746-1758
Ontario, Canada  N2L3G1    ######
(519) 888-4567, x5377    [[](||)[]]