Server stats for particular directories (was Re: server log statistics)

Dave Lewis drlewi1 at srv.PacBell.COM
Wed May 8 14:58:33 EDT 1996

I'm developing core components of a large intranet and have the same
need.  We have multiple servers and on each server multiple sites.  I
initially wrote a script (perl) which accepts specification of a site
(list of base URLs for site) and then goes through the access_log to
generate a site-specific stat report.  I've since been enlightened by
one of our users: he suggested just distributing the access_log file
entries to individual access_logs for each site.  Standard stat log
reporting tools can then generate reports for the specific site.  This
has the added advantage that I go through the main log file once rather
than once for each site on the server (yes, I could have generated all
the reports in once pass).  I'm doing the same with the error_log and
may actually send the error log to the site owner in email once per day
(push this info rather than waiting for a pull).

I'll send my main 'parseToSites.pl' script to those who want it who
send me request in email.  This requires substancial perl knowledge and
should be considered an illustration of how one can do this rather
than a complete package.  (Particularly, I'm not offering all of the perl
files which are brought in via perl 'require')

Dave Lewis