Beyond Bookmarks

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Mon May 27 17:55:09 EDT 1996

        Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web

   I have pleased to announce the establishment of a clearinghouse
for Web sites that have applied or adapted standard or (non-standard)
classification system or controlled vocabulary for organizing Net resources.

   Beyond Bookmarks is located at URL:

 http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/CTW.htm

   Currently only classification schemes have been incorporated in the
site, but sites that make use of LCSH and MESH will be added in the near
future.

   Selected sites are organized by major type of organization (e.g.
alphabetical, numeric, alphanumeric). With each respective group,
sites are organized with the scheme used for organization (e.g. Dewey).
Within a scheme grouping, sites are listed (and hotlinked) to the specific
page which provides access to the noted classification system.

  I wish to express my thanks to all who contributed or recommended
source sites for this project. Any and all additional sites that are
appropriate for this clearinghouse will be very much appreciated.

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
and
Coordinator, Science and Technology Section,
Reference and Instructional Services Department
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

               "Save the Time of the User"