Client side image maps and Mosaic

Henk Matthezing henkm at python.konbib.nl
Thu May 23 05:01:59 EDT 1996

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Peter Konshak wrote:

> I'm having some trouble getting my client side (I think that's the right
> term) image maps to work with NCSA Mosaic 2.0.  They work great with
> Netscape Navigator 2.0+ and Microsoft's Internet Explorer 2.0.  I suspect
> that Mosaic does not support client side image maps.  Can anyone confirm this?

You're absolutely right, client side image maps are a new feature and is
not 'yet' standard HTML. It works with new browser, like you mentioned
before.

> If Mosaic doesn't support client side image mapping, what does it support?

It does support server side imagemap. The 'hotspot' coordinates in the
image are saved in a .map file (is a ascii file) in preferably a
separate directory.
NCSA and CERN servers have a different way of notation of the coordinates.
Beside in the httpd config file a statement has to be added so the server
knows where to find the image mapfile. (ask your sysop)

You'll find a clear description how to do this in i.e.

Andrew Ford's Spinning the Web, published by Thomson

> Trying to create a web site that can be accessed by Netscape, Internet
> Explorer, Mosaic, AOL, Prodigy, CompuServe, and even Lynx (gasp!) is such
> fun.  :)

If you use an imagemap, take care to put text links beneath it if you
want to provide access to lynx users. You can't give more than one ALT=
attribute to an image (as far as I know). You can also make a link to a
separate low bandwith menu-file

Regards, Henk
                                                         _
Henk Matthezing              ___(_)/ /(_)__/                           \

Redactie Infoservices
Koninklijke Bibliotheek/SURFnet B.V.  Phone:  +31 70 3140 615
P.O.B. 80407                          Fax:    +31 70 3140 501
2509 LK Den Haag                      E-mail: henkm at python.konbib.nl