Web-based external database construction

Andrzej Kowalski andrzej at dingo.com
Sat May 11 17:44:39 EDT 1996

I would suggest you have a look at the KE Texpress engine at
http://www.dingo.com.  It is particularly suited to data entry and update
functions through Web forms.  A number of Texpress users are building very
sophisticated Intranet applications with  Web forms e.g. online membership
services, member postings, bulletins, distributed data entry, database
maintenance etc.

In terms of searching, unlike standard relational databases there is no 255
character limit for indexed searches and no slow wild card searches for key
words within a standard 255 character field.  Texpress has unlimted length
indexed fields and full indexed key word retrieval across all fields,
irrespective of length.

Andrzej Kowalski

At 08:15 05/10/96 -0700, Mark McCallon wrote:
>Our university is working on a new policy for academic departments that have
>collections housed in the department.  When a new course is developed, that
>involves materials located outside of the library, the professor is required
>to make a list of the materials available to the university community.
>
>We are interested in having a WWW forms-based database that will allow the
>professor to input the "LC Cataloging-in-Publication data" and physical
>location of the material.  The types of materials may include books,
>serials, computer files, or audio-visual.
>
>After the form is submitted, we would like to be able to search it using
>either keyword or forms-based search engines.
>
>Has anyone out there tried to implement a similar policy, or tried to do
>something similar?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark McCallon
>Abilene Christian University
>ACU Station Box 8177
>Abilene, Texas 79699-8177
>MARKM at ALCON.ACU.EDU

Andrzej Kowalski                                     Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dingo Software Systems Inc.                          Tel: (604) 877-1960
andrzej at dingo.com                                    Fax: (604) 877-1961
http://www.dingo.com

Fast and flexible data retrieval from data collections of all sizes
in-house and on the WWW with the KE Texpress object oriented database.