kiosks and disenabling features

NAME DEANNE LUCK LUCKDL at APSU01.APSU.EDU
Mon Mar 18 12:52:32 EST 1996

>From: Elisabeth Roche <ace at Opus1.COM>
>
>Basically, we need to design or give our specifications to the software
>developers and get a good product for kiosks, not another "work-around".
>Maybe that is exactly what everyone on this list should respond with, the
>wants. Then we can present them to Netscape or Oracle or Microsoft or
>whoever. I personally would love to see a list of this type, human-computer
>interaction and design is a personal study of mine.
>
>Elisabeth Roche ace at opus1.com
>serendipity RULES!

This is a wonderful idea, if the software developers will listen to us.
Ideally, for our library, I'd like to see the following:
  1. Disable "open URL"  (we have other machines for that)
  2. Rather than disabling mail, limit (to specific domain(s)) the addresses
that can be sent to (so students can send documents to their own accounts)
  3. Time out to a default page
  4. Totally lock out changes to "preferences" (not just saving the changes, but
making any changes at all)

All our other requirements should be met by a Windows security package we
are looking into.

I'll be interested to see how much variety there is in what different libraries
want.

DeAnne Luck
Electronic Resources Librarian
Austin Peay State University