kiosks and disenabling features

Kevin C. Marsh iai at neosoft.com
Mon Mar 18 12:43:57 EST 1996

Elisabeth Roche ace at opus1.com wrote:
>Basically, we need to design or give our specifications to the software
>developers and get a good product for kiosks, not another "work-around".
>Maybe that is exactly what everyone on this list should respond with, the
>wants. Then we can present them to Netscape or Oracle or Microsoft or
>whoever. I personally would love to see a list of this type, human-computer
>interaction and design is a personal study of mine.

I'd love to see this too.  But I suspect that the public-access Internet
kiosk market is both small and under-funded enough to discourage commercial
development.  I'm considering putting together a grant proposal to develop
such a package for freeware distribution.  I would like to know what others
on this list think of this approach.

The package might be a stand-alone browser (built as a revision of Mosaic),
or it might be a utility that asks a series of questions and then
modifies/configures Netscape accordingly.

Other suggestions?  Specific feature requirements?

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director
Information Access Institute
KMarsh at Information.org     http://Information.org