Background Colors

Kevin Justie kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
Mon Mar 11 19:18:12 EST 1996

Our web site was created entirely on Macs, but until recently we had no
in-house Internet-capable PCs on which to test our pages.  In the six
months our site has been up, three people, out of presumably several
hundred who have seen our pages, have written to say that our background
colors are full of dots.  We just recently got Netscape running on a PC and
the backgrounds are full of dots on our PC, too.  Certainly if this were
happening on every PC we would have heard more than  3 complaints, so we're
assuming it's a function of the PC and/or monitor.  What's more interesting
is that in the transparent portions of our gifs, the color is displayed
perfectly (i.e. smooth and solid), while the identical color, on the rest
of the page, is full of dots.

Our pages were designed on a Mac set at 256 colors, and the PC has an SVGA
monitor and is using an SVGA 256-color driver.  We use two colors: 009999
(blue-green) on our home page, and bbbbbb (light gray) on all others. All
Mac browsers show the colors correctly, as does AOL on a Mac.

The URL for our home page (the blue-green background) is
     http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/
All other pages on our site have the gray background.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, or how to prevent it via either
changes in our html color settings or hardware/software changes on the PC?
While we'd be willing to change the gray pages a solid white, which
displays correctly, we would like to keep the blue-green on the home page.
A background tile is an option, but in a previous incarnation of our home
page that used a tiled background, it slowed the displaying of the page.  I
would also be interested in knowing how many of you are seeing the dots and
how many are seeing it the way it was intended (for this part, please
respond to me instead of to the list).

Thank you!

Kevin Justie
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
offical Library policy.