Adaptive hypertext and hypermedia for information retrieval

Steve Ryan s.ryan at library.usyd.edu.au
Sun Jun 30 19:02:11 EDT 1996

In answer to Prentiss' question I'll quote from a paper by Peter
Brusilovsky (http://www.edfac.usyd.edu.au/projects/ah/Brusilovsky.html)

"Many researchers hold that it is the user who should bring the adaptivity
to the man-machine hypermedia system. Why do we need any other kind of
adaptation? Why do we need that the hypermedia system adapts itself to the
particular user? People working on adaptive
hypermedia give two main arguments for that. At first, adaptation can solve
the problem of hypermedia
systems which are used by different classes of users. Users can seriously
differ in their goals, background,
and knowledge on the subject covered by the hypermedia system. Regular
hypermedia system provides the
same hypermedia pages and the same set of links to all users, while
different users really need different
information. Users with different goals and knowledge may be interested in
different pieces of information
presented on a regular page and may use different links for navigation.
Information and links which are
irrelevant to these users just overload their working memories and screen.
A way to overcome this problem
is to use the information about a particular user, represented in the user
model, to adapt the information and
links being presented to the given user. I call it adaptive presentation.
Knowing user goals and knowledge, an adaptive
hypermedia system can support users in their navigation by limiting
browsing space, providing adaptive comments to visible links or just
suggesting most relevant links to follow. I call it adaptive navigation. "

> > I'm looking for sites/persons that are making use of adaptive hypertext and
> > hypermedia for information retrieval.
> > Including the use of Java and Digital Assistants. Any suggestions?
>
> One suggestion: could you define "adaptive hypertext"?  That might help
> people answer your question.  Thanks.
>
> -- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
> -- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
> -- Home office: 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-323-0708

Steve Ryan
Co-ordinator Internet Training          Tel: 61 2 351 5030
University of Sydney Library            Email:s.ryan at library.usyd.edu.au
Fisher Library F03                            Fax: 61 2 3514593
N.S.W. 2006 Australia