Help with CD-ROM Tower & Windows (Workgroups) 3.11

Anna Trupiano annat at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Sun Jun 30 17:49:02 EDT 1996

Our library system is on a network -- the system is an HP9000, the
workstations are 486/80 MHz PC (public workstations have 8 MB RAM).
Our CD-ROM Tower operates under Novell Netware (ver. 4.1) and SCSI
Express.  The public workstations operate under Ameritech's Library
System software (CoSTAR and PacPlus for Windows) and the products we
install on the Tower are "shared."

The problem we are experiencing, is that of "maintaining" the
configuration of the CD-ROM products we have placed in the Tower.
There is some flexibility with Windows, but there are also some
dangerous access points -- which apparently allow patrons to "send
messages" to other active workstations connected to the network.

Specifically, what I have found, is that patrons are able to access
the Novell software (through Windows' Print Setup function) and
actually use the network for reconfiguring the printer, sending
messages to other active workstations, etc.

The products that we have (the ones which allow access to Print
Setup) are Microsoft Encarta, Microsoft Bookshelf, Microsoft Art
Gallery, Microsoft Cinemania, and a non-Microsoft product called
Phone Disc (which "replaces" our telephone directories).

I seek responses from others who have a similar network with a
CD-ROM Tower "shared" across the network.  Has anyone found a way
to "disable" the "Print Setup" function through Windows???  Is there
a way to "disable" the "Network..." button that pops up when anyone
clicks on "Print Setup???"  Once "Network..." is clicked, the
NetWare Printer Connections options appear; and people have free
reign!!!

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Anna Trupiano                           annat at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Systems Administrator
                                        Palos Verdes Library Dictrict
(310) 377-9584 Ext. 258                 P.O. Box 8000
                                        Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274
Anna Trupiano			annat at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Systems Administrator
				Palos Verdes Library District