Multi-Part Materials on Automation Systems

Temple Hoff temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Mon Jun 24 16:25:10 EDT 1996

Our library district is considering some changes to the way we handle
multi-part materials such as audio cassettes, and CD-ROMs.  We are
interested in learning how other libraries deal with the inherent
difficulties of referencing these multi-part items on automation systems.

We would appreciate your response to any of the following questions:
1. Does each piece of a multi-part set, such as audio tape sets, show on
your system as a title with a single item or as one title with an item
record for each cassette or piece?
2. Do the title records have distinct item records attached?
3. Do multi-part items or sets at your library have individual barcodes
on each item or a single barcode? If a single barcode is used, what
procedures do you use to keep track of the individual pieces?
4. How do you handle placing automated holds on multi-part materials,
especially if each part has an individual item record?
5. Does your automation system charge overdues on a per item basis, and
if so, how do multi-part materials impact on this?

Thank you for your input.
Temple Hoff                  E-Mail:temhof at mohave.lib.az.us

Library Services Coordinator           Phone:(520) 692-5703
Mohave County Library District           Fax:(520) 692-5788