Internet Explorer and Telnet

Tim Smith smitht at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Thu Jun 20 13:51:37 EDT 1996

We are exploring the possible use of Microsoft's Internet Explorer as an
alternative to Netscape, and have encountered a big problem. I can't seem
to be able to figure out how to configure Explorer to launch a telnet
program on its own. When I choose a link that has a telnet connection
(e.g., for an online catalog), this message pops up:

     This link requires a telnet program.  To follow this link,
     run your telnet program, and connect to '[site name]'.

This rather defeats the purpose of launching into a telnet application
seamlessly. I've tried setting up a telnet program as a Helper, both in
Explorer's own configuration area and using Internet Config, but it still
doesn't work. I'm using version 2.0 of Explorer on a Macintosh, with NCSA
Telnet being my telnet application.

Can anyone point out what step I'm missing?

Thanks very much,

Tim Smith

Tim Smith                     e-mail: SMITHT at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Instructional Librarian       phone: (614) 593-2634
Reference Dept.               fax: (614) 593-0138
Alden Library
Ohio University               "Technology has replaced reflection"
Athens, OH  45701                                -- Utah Phillips