Scenarios for the future (was HTML...)

Vivienne Cuff Vivienne.Cuff at natlib.govt.nz
Wed Jun 19 17:34:45 EDT 1996

> Haven't we about beaten this thread to death?     I fear that web4lib
> may be undergoing a transition which I have seen all too often on
> other library related lists.    The list starts with a relatively small number of
> posts exchanging useful information among practitioners and then is
> overwhelmed by lengthy discussions of what librarians should or
> shouldn't be doing in the "Information Age".

My 2c worth - I don't think we have exhausted it - because what is useful
information? - sure, the list can  include how you do X or configure y or whatever
but the list should also  cover the broader issues such as the impact of
the Internet/WWW  on libraries as organizations, the role of librarians etc...
I personally would prefer discussion 'cos if I want information on
practicalities I know it's on the 'Net somewhere and readily accessible
using Altavista.

So,  going global...

Does anyone know of anyone/any organization
doing any work on describing  future scenarios for
libraries? I know there is lots of library literature about the
future, but what I am interested to know if there is anyone using futures based
techniques such as Peter Schwartz's scenario building - see this
 site - http://www.hotwired.com/wired/scenarios/build.html and
for futures techniques in general,
 see http://ag.arizona.edu/futures/fut/semtech.html.

This is an area of interest for me and I think the futures techniques could
assist us to further the dialog about  the impact of the Internet on
libraries...

So let me know of anything that's being done
and I promise I will summarize for the list.

Cheers

Vivienne
Vivienne Cuff
World Wide Web