W3Launch

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 18 08:59:36 EDT 1996

Mark Cyzyk writes:

>Could someone please tell
>me what I'm doing wrong?  When I click on the link in my HTML file that
>connects to the .w3l file, all I get are the contents of the .w3l file
>itself, not a bootup of W3Launch.

I apologize for going to the list to add my opinion that the server has
probably not been configured to send .w3l files with the new MIME type. The
best way to diagnose this is to put the .w3l file on a local drive and use
the browser's "Open File" to view it. Most browsers will use the MIME type
mapping as supplied by the preferences to decide what to do with the file.
In fact, that's usually the only time they use the suffix mapping you've
set in the application - when the server doesn't supply one. For
locally-opened files, there is no server, so the browser uses the suffix.
Almost all HTTP servers will send a default MIME type (typically
text/plain) for any file they don't recognize. The browser thinks it can
handle text/plain, so you get the file on the screen.

After all that, I hope that's the answer to Mark's problem! The W3Launch
config files looked OK to me.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Help Desk