Limiting Lynx to specific URLs -Reply -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Tue Jun 18 08:36:23 EDT 1996

Thomas Dowling stated one objection to limiting lynx--that it would:

 Generate a user perception that your library is run by control
    freaks, technophobes and/or net.ignoramuses who Just Don't
    Get It (try doing Internet BI once that perception sets in)

Michael Schuyler argued eloquently on this point not too long ago in
Computers in Libraries, pointing out that too often we librarians are seen
as standing in the way of access.

If time limits at computers result in fist fights--then have the combatants
removed from the library.  Where are the patron behavior policies?

It's also possible to dedicate computers to specific tasks, even if they are
"supposed" to be multitasking, and use geographic location,  stanchions
and signs to create methods of allocation and control.  Good old
salespersonship doesn't hurt, either.  "Gosh, we want to give you the
world--but we can give you 30 minutes on this terrific computer!" goes a
long way.  We have drive locks on our a: drives (in part because the
computers are not in our line of vision, due to a wall that really needs to
come down) and do we say "we're doing this because we have caught
people trying to format the c: drive?"  No, we say, "we're worried that
you'll get a virus on your home computer--have a FREE, clean, formatted
diskette!"  The best PR a dime can buy (and ever so environmentally
correct).

Anyway, as Thomas the Dowling put it more or less, you only have so
much time in the day.  How will you spend it?  Finding ways to reduce
or limit access to information?  Or finding ways to connect folks to what
they seek?  Take a look at this month's DLib magazine,
<http://www.dlib.org/dlib/june96/06contents.html> --many exciting,
user-oriented  projects, not one related to restricting or denying access.
Where are *your* priorities?

Karen G. "I Just Had My Coffee" Schneider
schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
opinions mine alone