Losing Ground? -Reply

Howard White hwhite at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jun 13 10:41:30 EDT 1996

>At 1:53 PM -0700 12/6/96, Michael Haseltine wrote:
>>I heartily agree with the posting by Dan Lester and want to add a maxim that
>>I hold to:
>>
>>"It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission."
>
>But, as has been pointed out, different people have different situations.
>I agree with being 'bold' if you can, but it certainly doesn't help in
>the long run if your boss is going to say "I want to throw you out the
>window!" afterwards.

These technology things are moving much to fast for boss types to consider the web in a timely and appropriate way. The only way to deploy any web pages is simply to do it. Waiting on a committee development process or holding for an executive decision, does not work, because web technologies are moving at such a pace that even technologists creating the infrastructures, can't keep up. But the first moment that deployment stops or even slows, some other group will take over.

It's like war. Institutions can't stop the deployment process because the troops skills, knowledge, training and most importantly their enthusiasm for the project, will suffer irreparable harm. And this war is a very long way from being over.