Losing Ground?

Bob Craigmile librlc at emory.edu
Wed Jun 12 08:49:50 EDT 1996

I have had some recent experiences which have caused distress, and want to
share them with others on this list so as to provoke (yet another)
discussion on the "big picture" of the web in libraries, and to possibly get
suggestions on how to deal with these experiences.

I administer our web server, and serve as the chair of the oversight
committee for it.  The committee's two other members do not have a keen
grasp of the technical aspects of the web, and I frequently try to educate
them as to how these things work.  There is also a director's council in our
library,  made up of department heads and others, which provides some
guidance for the library in general.  I am also a member of this council.

To cut to the chase:  these two bodies have recently started setting
policies regarding the content and focus of our web presence.  And well they
should, since it represents our library.  The down side: they've started
clamoring for things to be *removed* from the web server (e.g. a serials
duplicate exchange list), and have resisted other web services because it
would directly affect their work flow (e.g. a web-based calendar system).

Part of this is generational reluctance to have to relearn their jobs after
20+ years, part of it is not understanding how this stuff could save
time/money/effort, and part of it is fatigue over all the changes technology
has thrown at them in the last few years.  There is also a culture here
which is "conservative" regarding change in any form.

I'm curious as to how others have proceeded to defend their webs when
necessary. I intend to implement things for myself (like the calendar) and
act as a model, and allow others to come along as they wish.  Ironically,
our web site was just awarded a "Top site" award by some religious group on
the web.

Before you jump to conclusions, know that I too want the our web server to
change over time, and that it needs maintenance and, occasionally, redesign.
But I fear a wholesale retreat despite the overwhelming evidence that the
web is the current wave of technology to ride.

Comments?