a few steps together

Alain Vaillancourt NDGMTLCD at GSLIS.Lan.McGill.CA
Thu Jun 6 17:01:52 EDT 1996

> From: Matt Theobald <mtheobal at velcome.iupui.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: a few steps together
>
> The current  state of organization on the Inernet is a good example of how
> history does't always repeat itself.  It is undenyably a problem.
> Vastly unlike UNIVAC, the problems are radically different because the
> element of control is lost.  There was never the potential that anyone could
> access UNIVAC.

Quite right, History does not repeat itself in its entirety but quite
a lot of individuals in it seem intent on reinventing the wheel or
ignoring previous attempts when they are out to make The Better Wheel.

So the trick is not to look only at Univac only but look at it
at the same time as you are looking at the introduction of cheap
books (thanks to new hi-tech like steam presses and pulp paper mills)
where for the first time anyone could access books.  Anyone capable
of reading that is.  And also compare it to the introduction of the
first cheap newspapers, when anyone could now access fresh news
instead of rumours.  No radio back then remember, and cheap
newspapers were made possible by serious breakthroughs in
technology.

> This is the "golden mean".  Librarians must have an understanding of
> systems in order to see applications.  Programmers must realize that
> there are models and standards for organization that can be transferred.
> Alphabetization is easy enough, but somewhere in the education of
> -computer science- that has been lost to the hope for artificial search
> agents that do not provide a better way to filter as well as be
> comprehensive.  As many librarins should be ready and willing to sit at
> the table with programmers as vice-cersa.  I think the results would be
> astounding.

True!

I am positive that nothing will get done efficiently if several
disciplines do not get together on this topic and equally positive
that before sitting down all concerned should take a look at he
History of Technology of the last 100 years in order to get acquainted
with previous attempts at information retrieval which have failed or
succeeded because of adequate/inadequate technology.

Au revoir!

Alain Vaillancourt