SOLUTION: Browser reading nonexistent code

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Jun 4 14:05:55 EDT 1996

At 10:38 AM 6/4/96 -0700, Leon James wrote:
> Just as it was reported by the other two messages in
>this thread, the file is edited, saved, and viewed in Netscape with the
>Reload command.  There are unpredictable times when changes don't show up
>no matter how often it is reloaded.  In desperation, we use the solution
>of renaming the file.  This works all the time.

If you are using Netscape 2.0 or 2.01 this is a known bug.  It is caused by
Daylight savings time, and the computer that is running the browser not
being aware of the time change, or how to compensate for it.  For
wintel/unix systems it is possible to set an environment variable that tells
the system what time zone you are in from GMT.  Once this is set the
browsers seem to behave much more nicely.  :-)

For more deatils check out http://www11.netscape.com/misc/DST_err.html

The following appears at the top of the page I refer to, and it continues to
explain how to work around this problem.

RELOADING PAGES DURING DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME

Because of the way Netscape Navigator 2.0 and 2.01 handle Daylight Saving
Time, certain pages that change content more frequently than once an hour
may not load properly. The problem occurs when the user tries to reload the
page. If the page has changed in the last hour, Navigator, during Daylight
Saving Time, will not load the new page.

If you board the wrong train,		Bill Crosbie
it's no use running along the 		Microcomputer Analyst
corridor in the other direction.	Chang Science Library
   					Rutgers University
	 -Dietrich Bonhoeffer		crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
					908-932-0305 x114