OCLC PURL vs. server redirect?

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 4 13:41:40 EDT 1996

Hello -

Since OCLC's PURL software uses standard HTTP redirects, something just
about any web server can do, I was wondering what specific value there
might be in maintaining a separate PURL server. One advantage that comes to
mind is the potential to put a nice interface on the redirection function
(as opposed to editing the server's config files directly). I suppose that
there could also be an issue of the number of redirect statements a
particular HTTP server could handle in its config file.

Can anyone comment on the performance of the PURL software vs., say, the
NCSA server?

Thanks,

PG
Peter C. Gorman