Fragment Identifiers and Tables

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jun 4 10:03:33 EDT 1996

Rob--

This is a known problem with earlier versions of many browsers.  They
simply don't recognize  name anchors within tables; I don't believe this
was required in earlier drafts of the table spec.  One workaround might
be:

<h2><a name="a">A</a></h2>

<h2><a name="b">B</a></h2>
..
..
..

With some careful use of "width=" attributes, you could still make table
columns line up neatly.

> Does anyone know why this would be the case, and is there a way to write
> the links so they work in both the current and older versions?

BTW, this is one of the tests included in BrowserCaps, so if you need to
know whether a specific browser handles this as you expect, you can check

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610