HTML text -making indents or tabs

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Jul 31 18:00:29 EDT 1996

mrsc at wln.com wrote:

> Anyone know how to create indents or tabs in the text of HTML documents.
> The specific application we are working with is the conversion of
> municipal ordinances which in their original word processing text have
> lots of indents; many are in outline form.
>
> We use Hot Dog as an editor, and HTML Transit as the conversion tool.  The
> latter will not convert the space, including its new version.

A pretty easy manual fix is to use <blockquote> tags. You can nest them, and
get the equivalent of outline step margins. This isn't great for automatic
conversions.  But maybe you can use a script to do it conditional on some of
your outline level flags.

-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D./Oregon State Library/perez at opac.state.or.us/503-378-4243
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Collaboration is essential: It allows you to blame someone else