Just my two cents, but ... -Reply

KAREN SCHNEIDER SCHNEIDER.KAREN at EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV
Wed Jul 31 14:04:59 EDT 1996

I probably should shut up and go back to my spreadsheets, but I
feel compelled to point out that Shixing Wen's problem is not
fixed by Bill Crosbie's solution.  Presumably what is at issue here
is not list-appropriate messages, but the quantity of them.  One of
the things we have to cope with in this networked environment is
that we are trying to have a group function where everyone
speaks and listens at different  speeds.  An inevitable
consequence is that sometimes we will all "talk at once" because
we do not hear the other person "speaking."  Rather than
dampen the collective creative spirit that fuels WEB4LIB, I would
suggest we practice the other email function, our "delete key,"
and otherwise marvel at how so many of us from so many places
can congregate on issues significant to our profession (including
adapting to the networked environment).

And so I'm not even too prolix for WEB4LIB, I'll now return to
those spreadsheets (isn't there some Excel -->HTML widget?)...

Karen G. Schneider/opinions mine alone
[and speaking of email, this package doesn't even let me include
sig files...]

>>> Bill Crosbie <crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU> 07/31/96
12:10pm >>>
At 03:26 PM 7/30/96 -0700, Shixing Wen wrote:

>The problem is that when I sent out a reply message, there were
no other
>postings on the list. It takes a while for the list to process our
messages.
>That causes multiple answers to a simple question. Is there any
way to
>prevent such unfortunate consequences?

The most effective means is to e-mail the person who made the
request, not the entire list.  If you are unsure how to do this, I
dersiously suggest that you learn how to modify the recipients list
in your e-mailer.  It is very useful, and might prevent you from
sending a message to someone unintentionally in the future.

(I posted this to the entire list because I thought it was beneficial
for the group.  If it were a more targeted question, I would have
responded directly to Shixing Wen.)
Always dream and shoot higher	      |	  Bill Crosbie than you
know you can do.	      |	  Microcomputer Analyst
Don't bother just to be better than   |	  Chang Science Library
your contemporaries or predecessors.  |	  Rutgers
University
Try to be better than yourself.	      |	  New Brunswick, NJ
USA
	   			      |	  crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
	~~William Faulkner~~	      |	  908-932-0305 x114