Max. number of inputs in a form?

Marc Salomon marc at ckm.ucsf.edu
Wed Jul 24 19:18:09 EDT 1996

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez <agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx>
|I think the limit is not really a "number" of inputs, as much as the
|total quantity of information you can send in a form... and the again,
|only when you use the ACTION=GET method-- there the limit is 4kB of text.

Some GUI environments choke if they have to support more than a certain number
of widgets (for input primatives) per window.

The 4kb limit for text is the ATTSPLEN defined in HTML and that limits the size
of any attribute value, as in HREF=<at most 4k>.

But on some unix machines, there is a low (265 byte) hard limit on the size of
an environment variable (system mechanism through which CGI variables are
passed a program), which can be problematic.

-marc