Organizing Web Informat

Eric Miller emiller at oclc.org
Tue Jul 16 14:17:23 EDT 1996

Robert H. Terry writes:

> We have been looking for solutions in this area also, our Domain is
> mostly Software.  We prototyped a tool which seamlessly browses and
> searches Metadata in multiple libraries.  The tool used the recently
> approved IEEE BIDM (Basic Interopability Data Model) and the optional
> META TAGS in HTML 2.0.  We have now begun looking for other standards for

With respect to embedding metadata information inside HTML, I thought
you might be interested in the recent paper that came out of the W3C
Distributed Indexing and Searching Workshop that was held May 28-29,
1996. <URL:http://www.oclc.org:5046/~weibel/html-meta.html>

This paper basically deals with a balance between the potential
name-space collision of metadata elements and the current
implementation of HTML, WWW robots, etc. There are various differing
types or "packages" of metadata that may exist for an object ranging
from resource description to terms and conditions, intellectual
property rights, ratings, etc...  For these differing "standards" to
coexist, a proposal for identifying, or packaging the different types
of metadata are required.

The above paper is designed to deal with these issues within the
confines of HTML.

eric j. miller                  <URL:http://purl.oclc.org/net/eric>
emiller at oclc.org                OCLC, Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
emiller at cis.ohio-state.edu      Dept. of Geography, The Ohio State University